Sunday, December 22, 2013

Quilted Pools, Part I

Lately, I've been obsessed with swimming pools. I crocheted a bunch, and then I started making small pool quilts. For the first, I added cutout dogs, a novelty fabric fish, a hot tub, a diving board and a slide. 
 Next, the Gaugin pool, named after the style of the novelty fabric on the lower left. The duck is from a non-Gauginesque pool, and the diver came from a copyright-friendly Dover book.
 And finally, we have a mermaid and her pet goldfish contemplating....a manatee, of course.
Closer:
She's doing the Vulcan mind meld on him. Or maybe it's a love triangle?
I used Sulky's glistening flat holographic thread to make the watery lines. Reverse applique with substantial interfacing (I used 'Decor-Bond') or thin fusible fleece makes the pool sit at a lower level than the surrounding 'patio.' The lines in the brick are quilted, which give them a wonderful texture. The figures are appliqued with a zig-zag stitch with invisible thread.

Want to make your own swimming pool quilt? Stay tuned. Next week, I'll show a larger, multiple-pool quilt, with detailed directions. UPDATE: The next post with directions is here.

Wishing you and your family happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!