Sunday, October 26, 2014

Swim Team Applique Tallit for a Bat Mitzvah

My client Rachel is a star - a swimming star, that is. She spends hours in the pool every day. So for her commissioned bat mitzvah tallit, naturally, she wanted her swim team logo, which looks like this:
The team colors are orange and black, but fortunately, Rachel wanted a blue-and-white tallit. So I translated the pieces onto freezer paper, and seperated the three waves from each other. I cut them out of turquoise and dark blue, and raw edge appliqued them. Rachel  also wanted stripes - specifically, one stripe per end. 
She wanted the atarah, the collar, to have her Hebrew name: 
 And here's the finished tallit, modelled not by Rachel (I'm waiting for that picture), but my local teen:

 I made a matching bag from a watery white-on-muslin print and the same blue fabrics. I put quilt batting between the layers to make it cushy.

The button has a glass star of David glued on it.
 
This was made a year ago. Now her mother tells me Rachel is on a NEW swim team and wants an updated tallit!

For more of my tallitot, commissioned and otherwise, see my webpage and my recent rock and roll tallit. For free advice on making your own, and a free pattern for a blessing atarah, go here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!