Monday, November 10, 2014

Quilting Mystery Book Review - 'Knot in My Backyard'


This new mystery is Mary Mark’s second – I loved her first, Forget Me Knot, and this one is just as good. Her heroine is Martha Rose, an expert quilter, hot mama, Weight Watchers recidivist, Los Angeles Jewish woman of a certain age, who solves gruesome murders in part by refusing to be silenced by the hunky men who desire her. Vivid characters and authentic settings make the book so much fun  - I learned a lot about the Los Angeles River, undocumented homeless people who live off freeway overpasses, the thorny politics of fancy private schools, bikers, Israeli falafel places, and much more that makes up the improbably diverse landscape of LA. There are even quilting tips. I could totally relate to Martha in so many ways, plus she hates to cook – we’d both rather quilt -  so we’re truly kindred spirits. Highly recommended!  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the great review Cathy. I'm so glad you like Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recommendation. I just asked our library to hold the first one for me! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!